Friday, August 10, 2012

First Day in Thailand!!

I suppose I probably should have posted before this, but oh well :) I arrived in Thailand on August 9 very late at night. There were so many people at the airport to welcome me and they gave me a big bouqet of flowers and each put a wreath of Jasmine around my head. They were so welcoming and kind!

Yesterday was my first day. I was so scared to get up and walk into a world where I know nothing! But do you know what is so wonderful for building confidence? When there's a little note on your door welcoming you to Thailand :) So many people ride motorcycles here! You see people from ages 10 to 60 riding them and very, very few wear helmets. It is so much fun! Although it is a little scary when nobody who rides the back hangs on to the person in the front. I have started to not hold onto the person driving because I think it might be a little awkward for them, but it is scary not holding onto anything! Ice is going to teach me how to drive one! :)

I went out walking by myself twice yesterday and each time Ice's brother, Nye, picked me up. Haha I'm starting to get the impression I'm not supposed to do that xD

The food! It is very good, but my stomach is not used to it yet so I eat very little. I feel bad sometimes because they sometimes think I don't like it, but it's just that my stomach isn't used to it. Last night though, Ice and I took the motorcycle to meet Ice's family at their restaurant. Afterward, we biked around Lamphun. It is so nice to ride the bike! It is now my favourite way to get around. We ate this kind of food called "ka-nom-pang" and "sang-kai-ya" - it was so good!!!! We sat in my room for hours last night eating it and talking :)

This morning I was scared to get up again, but guess what was waiting on my door? Another note from Ice :)

Anneke